Charles A. Carlson
Area of Practice
Real Estate Litigation
Mediation and Alternative Dispute Resolution
Florida State University, B.A.
University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D.
Law Clerk to Hon. Wm. Terrell Hodges, U.S. District Judge, Middle District of Florida (1987-1989)
Harvard Negotiation Institute, Mediation Program
Charlie Carlson is a commercial litigation attorney with three decades of experience in both state and federal courts. Charlie employs a problem solving approach to client matters, zealously advancing business clients’ interests with a value oriented, business approach. A concentration of his work has been in real estate litigation, insurance coverage matters, including commercial liability and title insurance issues, disputes arising out of covenants not to compete and employment contracts, probate and trust disputes, appeals in state and federal courts, First Amendment and open government law and general business litigation.
He is admitted to practice in the state of Florida, including the U.S. District Courts for the Middle, Southern, and Northern Districts of Florida; the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th and 11th Circuits; and the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in the Middle and Southern Districts of Florida. Mr. Carlson is also a Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Court Mediator and Certified Middle District of Florida Mediator.
Mr. Carlson was a partner at the Tampa law firm of Barnett, Kirkwood, Koche, Long and Foster Koche and formerly served as the firm’s managing partner prior to bringing his expertise to OLDER LUNDY ALVAREZ KOCH & MARTINO.
Mr. Carlson earned his juris doctorate at the University of Florida, Levin College of Law, and then went on to serve as a Law Clerk to the Honorable William Terrell Hodges, U.S. District Judge in the Middle District of Florida.
Mr. Carlson works out of the firm’s Tampa office. He resides in Tampa with his wife, Becky.
- The Florida Bar
- Trial Lawyers Section
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Health Care Section
- Florida Land Title Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- The Florida Bar (1987)
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida (1987)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit (1989)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida (1993)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit (1999)
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Middle District of Florida (2008)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida (2010)
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Florida (2010)
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Court Mediator (2015)
- Certified Middle District of Florida Mediator (2015)
- Martindale Hubbell – AV Rated
- Order of the Coif
- Recipient, Atwood Dunwoody Scholarship
- Past Board Member, University of Florida Law Review
Publications and Instruction
- “Business is Business: Recognizing Referral Relationships as Legitimate Business Interests Protectable by Restrictive Covenants in Florida,” The Florida Bar Journal, March, 2008
- What You Need to Know About Public Records and Open Meetings in Florida, Instructor, June, 2006
- Government in the Sunshine: Florida’s Public Records and Open Meetings Laws, Instructor, September, 2004
- “Removal to Federal Court on the Basis of Diversity Jurisdiction: The ‘Amount in Controversy’ in Controversy,” The Florida Bar Journal, October, 1995
- “Stepping Into the Sunshine: Application of the Florida Public Records Act to Private Entities,” The Florida Bar Journal, November 1993